Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Savute Safari Lodge - Wild Dogs in Camp


There are some nights in Savute that it is action all the way. As soon as one thing calms down the next one is there.

Last night (20/06/2008) was definitely one of those. Sanet (our new Assistant Manager) and myself were on duty during the afternoon. At around 18:15 the guides were returning from the afternoon game drive. Sanet was a little bit ahead from me to welcome everyone back from the drive. Suddenly I could hear her calling from the front of the office where the vehicles usually park. At speed I went over to her.

A Wilddog has just chased an Impala about 3m in front of her. I was a little bit to late to see this. At the same time the game drive vehicle entered through the gate, about 30m in front of us. At this stage both Sanet and myself were standing at the small fence next to the vehicle parking area, with the headlights of the car directly onto us. The next second an Impala came running towards us, followed by a big male Wilddog. The Impala, closely followed by the Wilddog, jumped over the low fence, less than arms length away from us. A big sigh went out from all on the vehicle, as they could see how close the Dog and Impala were to us. The Impala was clearly very exhausted, and the Dog was still at full strength.
At the same time three other Dogs split around the eastern side of camp, while the last three went to the west. The big male chased the Impala around the buildings and straight towards the Dogs on the western side that was waiting in ambush. They eventually got hold of the Impala right next to room #5.
When our Company Doctor (Dr. Birkenstock) and I saw them about 2 minutes after my first glimpse of them, the Impala was still kicking. All were very excited, getting off the game drive vehicles as fast as they could in order not to miss the action. Everybody in camp went to see the kill. At about 15m away from us, seven Wilddogs were devouring the Impala.

After observing them for a few minutes, we all retreated in order to keep the disturbance to the Dogs to a minimum. At 19:00 when all arrived for drinks at the bar, the conversation was all about the last hours excitement.

Sanet and I were not on duty that evening, so we joined Dr. Birkenstock for a quick dinner on the waterhole viewing deck. Exhausted we headed to our quarters on the northern side of camp.
As we walked past room #1 we heard a big noise in the bushes directly ahead of us. We immediately retreated into the room, trying to see what was causing the noise. We could clearly hear large animals walking in the bush, accompanied with the sounds of bones being crushed and large carnivores feeding. As our quarters are still furter along the track we decided to make a hasty retreat, back to the main lodge. Walking backwards, I could just make out the front part of a Lioness on the lawn in front of my house.

The only option then was to get a vehicle and drive to the back of our respective houses, in order to get through a window, so that at least we could sleep in our own beds. As we parked behind our houses, we could see a couple of Hyaena that had joined the party on the lawn. Quietly Sanet sneaked into her house, and I went over to mine. I could hear a rustle in the branches above my head. A leopard was in the branches above me, chased up there by the raucus caused by the Lions and Hyaenas on the lawn. I went to bed with the sounds of the bush around me, sleep did not come easy. In a matter of two hours, we had Wilddog, Lion, Hyaena and Leopard in camp.
Life in the bush does not get any better than this!
Written by Kobus Lubbe - Savute Safari Lodge Manager

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

How exciting!!!
Kobus, do you think you could arrange the same sightings for me when I arrive on November 15th? Just kidding! I know how the "bush T.V." works. Thanks for sharing these exciting moments with all of us. The fact that you were able to see wild dogs with a kill, a lioness, some hyaena, and a leopard in a short amount of time was absolutely amazing, to say the least. These stories keep me on the edge of my seat. Thanks again!

Desert & Delta Safaris said...

Hi Evelyn

Glad to know that you are enjoying the happenings in Savute. The only way to really see what it is like is to be here. Although we try, a couple of pics and a short story will never be able to accurately convey the sights and sounds of this bit of paradise. You will soon experience the thrill of seeing this place again for yourself and I am sure that the anticipation must be building up day by day. At the moment things are really exciting, as you will be able to gather from my blog postings. Keep a look out, I am sure things will only get more interresting as the natural waterholes dry up and the animals start concentrating around the pumped drinking points.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Kobus, Banaki and the team at Savute Safari Lodge