Monday, December 22, 2008

Solomon, Guide at Leroo La Tau

Guide: Solomon Gakenathata

Goes by: Solomon

Date of Birth: April 14, 1983

Home village: Etsha 13


Desert & Delta guide since: September 2007

Favorite animal or bird: Leopard because “normally when it kills its prey, it takes it up the tree and doesn’t want to be disturbed by any animal. I like the Woodland Kingfisher, a summer visitor. Once you hear the Woodland Kingfisher calling, it indicates that in 2-3 days it will be raining. That’s why I go for it.”

Favorite reference book or tool: “Sasol Birds of Southern Africa” by Ian Sinclair, Phil Hockey and Warwick Tarboton

Favorite food: papa and beef seswaa

Special talent: singing and traditional dancing

A hope for his lifetime: ”I prefer to get married, then I can settle down with my wife.”

Most memorable experience at Leroo La Tau: “I saw two females and the male rhinos. I stopped in the car. They were maybe 10 metres away, and they started coming to the vehicle. They were just sniffing. I was having two guests, and I told them, ‘Don’t speak.’ They (the three rhinos) came four metres to the vehicle.”

Best thing about Leroo La Tau: The migration of animals, like blue wildebeest and zebras, through LLT.

What makes Botswana special: “The delta. The wild animals that we’ve got. Same applies to the people in Botswana: We’re very peaceful. Even if you meet somebody on the way, they will stop and tell you which way you want to go.”


Interviewed by Maria Henson, volunteer, Desert & Delta Safaris

No comments: